Funded opportunity for artists and arts organisations in Wales to visit countries in Sub Saharan Africa
Following a visit to Wales by our colleagues in Africa, the British Council is delighted to be offering the opportunity for artists and arts organisations in Wales to undertake a visit to countries in Sub Saharan Africa with a view to scoping a possible creative project and developing existing or new artistic connections. The visit should take place before the end of May 2019. Countries eligible are: Uganda, Nigeria, Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Senegal, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya and Rwanda.
About the scoping visit
The grant will cover international flights from / to Wales, accommodation costs and domestic transport, daily subsistence, incidental travel expenses and visa costs.
Aims and objectives
- Extend and Introduce connections between Welsh and Sub Saharan Africa artists and arts organisations
- Increase understanding for Welsh participants of the Sub Saharan Africa context.
We encourage applications from all levels and types of artists and arts organisations
Artists and organisations need to be currently based in Wales to be eligible for this opportunity.
How will my application be assessed?
Applications will be evaluated by the British Council, drawing on input from partner arts organisation(s) where appropriate.
Criteria for assessment:
- Usefulness of the visit to further development of project
- Feasibility of final project
- Capacity of organisation to undertake International work
- Level of interest and/or existing partnerships with Sub Saharan Africa
Successful applicants will be required to sign a grant contract with the British Council, upon receipt of which, the grant money can be paid.
Please note that successful applicants will be required to answer a survey prior to and after their visit and submit a report after the visit.
How to apply
Please submit a short proposal that includes the following information:
- Your interest in undertaking a scoping visit to Sub Saharan Africa and the immediate objectives and planned outcomes of the visit.
- Details of your existing creative partnerships or projects in Sub Saharan Africa and how you plan to build upon this through the scoping visit.
- If you are proposing to develop new connections, please indicate how you will approach this independently and through your existing partnerships.
- Your CV, detailing particularly past international work and partnerships
- What you envisage the next steps to be, after the visit is complete
- Confirmation of applicant’s ability to undertake the trip before the end of May 2019.
Successful applicants will be informed by 31 January 2019